Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Pianist (2002)

I know I'm late, but I saw this movie for the first time today. And I loved it. From the first scene I fell for Adrien Brody's character. I can't decide whether it was because of his charisma, his clothes and how well dressed he always looked, or the fact that he played the piano - and beautifully, at that. Anyway, this movie is a biographical drama about the Nazi invasion of Warsaw, Poland through the eyes of Jewish musician Władysław Szpilman. The images of violence and despair were disturbing, but left a lasting impression with their artful presentation. The themes of family and love added a beautiful element to the film also; I was heartbroken to see Szpilman separated from his family and those he loved, but his courage and motivation shown through in every scene. In the end a kind soul embodied by a German soldier saves his life (though I believe his talent and passion for music had a hand in that as well) and after the war viewers find him continuing to do what he loves - play the piano. Polanksi did an amazing job with this film and it was duly noted when it won 5+ awards. Take time to watch this masterpiece because I, as well as so many other people, rate it 5 stars.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Thomas Kretschmann is extremely attractive either. :)

1 comment:

  1. This was on my must watch list and now I really MUST watch this hehh :D

    ReplyDelete